Friday 18 March 2011

Me, Myself and I

I first developed an interest for photography towards the end of junior school when I realised that I had developed an artistic flair and a passion for capturing a moment that can never be brought back.
At secondary school I enjoyed Art at GCSE level and then decided to take photography as an AS level course to support my creative style. Through the duration of my photography projects such as Fashion on Location, I particularly enjoyed the independent side of the subject and the way I could decide what could be represented behind the lens. I took a real pride in finishing the work to a high standard and this made the work considerably more interesting. This then prompted me to think seriously about a career in photography. I know that if I pursue the area of study to a higher level I will want to continue to proceed until I am a fully qualified, registered photographer.
As a result of my determination to solely study photography and since leaving school after completing my AS levels, I decided to challenge myself and begin studying BTEC ND Photography at Warwickshire College. This enabled me to look deeper into the different aspects of the subject as there were a new range of modules including dark room practice and I was able to learn a much wider range of skills. During college I have visited many exhibitions such as the Taylor Wessing Portrait Prize at the National Portrait Gallery in London and realised an area I particularly enjoy and want to take further is fashion in photography; working in the studio is one of a number of areas where I have developed my knowledge, the confidence I have gained by working with models and colleagues is reflected in my growth as a person. I feel I can now pick up new techniques easily allowing me to be an efficient worker and complete tasks to a required high standard. Time management is very important to me and with the coursework and research needed for all my different modules, I have shown that I can manage my time effectively and still have time to concentrate on other aspects of life. Being a photographer relies hugely on independence but the importance of teamwork is also needed and is something I have incorporated in my time in education so far.
My experience with the company Permajet (2010) and Ilford (2011) at the photography show 'Focus on Imaging' in Birmingham showed me how photography can be pursued in a business environment and that as much as a photograph is important it is also about how you present them, which I have taken on board considerably in my own work.
I feel my part-time experience in retail has given me the ability to complete tasks by myself which is particularly important in photography and in higher education.


Overall, I think that I can be a successful photography student at Manchester Metropolitan University because I enjoy both artistic and technical aspects as well as solving the challenges it throws at me. Fashion photography is an area that really appeals to me and it has always been an ambition of mine. Amanda De Cadenet has inspired me to look further into this side of photography as her work is always so clean and natural and the subject never looks too made up. Her work is in many publications and this is where I want mine to end up one day. Studying photography will allow me to look further into the fashion industry and other areas so that when the time comes where I can make this my career I will have all the knowledge I need to fulfil my dream. I would like to play a part in the future of photography and its effect on everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment